- Hits: 207
Deforestation and crisis in Latin America under the scrutiny of sustainable development experts
- Nine sustainable development experts were brought together virtually to analyze the dynamics of deforestation in the Latin American region and discuss possible scenarios in the wake of the health crisis
June 19, 2020. The Latin American Model Forest Network (RLABM, its Spanish acronym), with the support of the Foundation for the Conservation of the Chiquitano Forest (FCBC, its Spanish acronym), Chiquitania Sostenible (Chiquitano Model Forest of Bolivia), Risaralda Model Forest, Technological University of Pereira (UTP, its Spanish acronym) of Colombia and CATIE (Tropical Agricultural Research and Higher Education Center) of Costa Rica organized a public webinar on May 13 where more than 700 people connected through Zoom and YouTube, gathered to hear the opinions of guest speakers on one of the most pressing issues in the region.
The experts spoke about the loss of forests in Latin America, providing different perspectives of analysis on the causes of deforestation that is affecting various geographical areas of the continent, such as the Amazon, the Chiquitania of Bolivia, the forests of Peru, Ecuador, Guatemala, among others. In addition, they presented possible solutions and promising models to face this environmental problem.
To watch the conferences and interventions of each of the guests in this webinar, go to the following links:
- Welcome. Wilson Arenas, Dean of the Faculty of Business Sciences of the Technological University of Pereira and Róger Villalobos, President of the Latin American Model Forest Network.
Watch their speeches: https://bit.ly/3hCwgWS
- Alan Bojanic, representative of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) in Colombia.
Watch his lecture entitled Deforestation in the Amazon: https://bit.ly/3hCx4uS
- Rosa Leny Cuéllar, general coordinator of the ECCOS project of the European Union and the Foundation for the Conservation of the Chiquitano Forest in Bolivia and Brazil.
Watch her lecture entitled Deforestation and fires in the Chiquitania of Bolivia: https://bit.ly/3fwOpUi
- René Zamora, expert in Forest Economics at the World Resources Institute.
Watch his lecture entitled Economic drivers of deforestation in Latin America in the face of the crisis: https://bit.ly/2Cf3bRb
- Natalia Ruiz, forestry consultant from Peru.
Watch her lecture entitled Human Dimensions of Deforestation in Peru: https://bit.ly/30RejOt
- Richard Vervisky, president of the International Model Forest Network of the Canadian Forest Service.
Watch his lecture entitled Fighting Forest Fires and the Support of Canada's International Cooperation: https://bit.ly/2zKHh7E
- Inty Arcos, technical coordinator of the Chocó Andean Model Forest in Ecuador.
Watch his lecture entitled Deforestation, Pandemic and Other Demons: https://bit.ly/2BlJhmY
- Francisco Uribe, head of planning at the Technical University of Pereira in Colombia.
See his lecture entitled Difficulties and challenges for an environmental management oriented to the reduction and control of deforestation: https://bit.ly/2C998z1
- Eliane Ceccon, researcher at the National Autonomous University of Mexico.
Watch her lecture entitled How to Reverse Deforestation: Successful Models in Brazil: https://bit.ly/2N9g1m8
- Fernando Carrera, manager of the Latin American Model Forest Network.
Watch his lecture entitled Forest Management as a Strategy to Curb Deforestation. The case of Guatemala: https://bit.ly/3dblIe3
- Conclusions and final reflections. Roberto Vides, executive director of the Foundation for the Conservation of the Chiquitano Forest in Bolivia, and Alejandro Brown, president of the ProYungas Foundation in Argentina.
Watch their speeches: https://bit.ly/2UVqOop
Latin American Model Forest Network